Alright, listen up, because I’m about to drop some culinary wisdom on you. Now, one of the most unforgettable pizzas I’ve ever concocted was born in the fiery pit of flavor known as Purgatory Pizza. Brace yourself for the Pineapple Express, a pie that’ll set your taste buds on a wild ride.
We start with a bold, chipotle base. Next comes the pickled red onions. Tangy, vibrant, and loaded with character. Pineapple and sliced jalapenos bring that sweet and spicy flair to the party. Roasted red peppers are a perfect combination with vegan sausage to create one of the most delicious pies I’ve ever cooked. Oh! And don’t forget to finish the pie with some fresh cilantro!
I’m not going to say that this recipe is easy, but I will say it’s worth it. So grab your apron, sharpen your knives, and get ready to create a pizza masterpiece that’ll make your taste buds sing!
We start with this spicy chipotle base to get this party popping. This recipe includes a scratch-made vegan mayo recipe that helps you really create your own flavor profile from the beginning.
Now you’re going to need your plant-based cheese, I recommend my recipe which you can find right here. If that’s too much work have no fear, your favorite store-bought mozzarella will do just fine!
Alright, when I said the hard part was over I lied! You’re going to need some vegan sausage, so head over here for my recipe. Store-bought will work too. I really like the Field Roast fennel sausage for this recipe.
Alright, now you just need some fresh pineapple and roasted red peppers. You can use canned peppers and pineapple, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Take the time to roast those puppies yourself for the ultimate flavor creation!
Top that baby up and garnish the pie with your fresh cilantro!
This isn’t your run-of-the-mill, delivery guy kind of pizza. This here is a culinary masterpiece in the making. Enjoy the journey. Godspeed, my friends, and good luck!
What You'll need
- Food Processor
Vegan Mayo Ingredients
- 1 cup Soy Milk
- 2 cups Canola Oil
- 4 grams Salt
- 12 grams Apple Cider Vinegar
- 5 grams Lemon Juice
- 12 grams Dijon
Chipotle Aioli Ingredients
- 7 grams Kosher Salt
- 6 grams Lime Juice
- 47 grams Dijon
- 20 grams Fresh Garlic
- 14 grams Chipotle Pepper
- ¾ cup Agave
Pickled Red Onions Ingredients
- 2 Red Onions (Large)
- 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup Water
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1½ tsp Kosher Salt or Sea Salt
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (optional for extra flavor)
- 1-2 cloves Garlic, Crushed (optional for added depth)
Vegan Mayo Instructions
- In a blender or food processor, combine the soy milk, salt, and Dijon mustard. Blend until well combined.
- While the blender is running, slowly drizzle in the canola oil. This is a crucial step for emulsifying the mixture and achieving the creamy mayo consistency. Keep blending until the mixture thickens and resembles traditional mayonnaise.
- Once the mixture has emulsified, add the apple cider vinegar and lemon juice. Blend again until the flavors are well incorporated and the mayo is smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. You can add more salt, lemon juice, or Dijon mustard according to your preferences.
- Transfer the V MAYO to a clean airtight container and refrigerate. It will thicken slightly as it chills. This vegan mayo can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Chipotle Aioli Instructions
- In a blender or food processor, combine v mayo the Kosher salt, lime juice, Dijon mustard, fresh garlic, chipotle pepper, and agave.
- Blend the mixture until smooth and well combined. Make sure the chipotle pepper is fully blended for an even distribution of spiciness.
- Taste the chipotle sauce and adjust the seasoning to your liking. You can add more lime juice for tanginess, more agave for sweetness, or more chipotle pepper for extra heat.
- Once you're satisfied with the flavor, transfer the chipotle sauce to a airtight container.
Pickled Red Onions Instructions
- Make the brine: In a medium saucepan, combine the apple cider vinegar, water, granulated sugar, kosher salt, crushed garlic. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- Once the brine is ready, remove it from the heat. Layer the sliced red onions in the container and pour the hot brine over the onions, covering them completely.
- Seal and cool: Let cool to room temperature. Once cooled, seal the container tightly with the lid and store them in the refrigerator.
- Let it pickle: The pickled red onions will be ready to use after at least 1 hour in the refrigerator. However, for the best flavor, allow them to pickle for at least 24 hours before using. They will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 weeks.